What is Carolina MALES?
Carolina MALES is an overarching and all-inclusive university initiative for undergraduate men of color
What are the MALES Initiatives?
- Monthly Networking through a partnership with Housing and Residential Education in Student Affairs, we host monthly corporate gatherings of students, mentor-coaches, and professional staff. These meetings serve as touch points throughout the year to build community among male students of color and alumni and/or campus professionals.
Pin Lineage Groups
- In collaboration with Student Affairs and several other campus units, this initiative serves as the overarching and all-inclusive university program for undergraduate male students of color. Through this program, current undergraduate males at Carolina are linked with mentors who are Carolina alumni and/or professional color.
Summer Student Leadership Training
- Every August, the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs and the Office of Men of Color Engagement takes a cohort of student leaders for a Summer Immersion experience in a major U.S. city to prepare for the upcoming academic year’s Men of Color/ Carolina MALES Initiative.
- The 2016 cohort traveled to Philadelphia. Students visited cultural sites such as One Liberty Observation Deck and the Edgar Allan Poe National Historic Site. They also performed volunteer work through the Jewish Relief Agency.
- Carolina MALES Ambassadors analyze readings on racial identity, connect with local male alumni of color, and discuss their tenure at UNC. Destinations: Washington D.C. (2014), Atlanta (2015), and Philadelphia (2016).
How can I get involved?
Upcoming events can be found here
Chris Faison, email@example.com
Hazael Andrew, firstname.lastname@example.org
Dexter Robinson, email@example.com